Monday, February 7, 2011

Its been a while since I posted a blog

Its been a while since I posted on this blog. I've had lots of good things to talk about and some blah as well. Went to Chicago for a training session with Alex Outhred, and played an wsop event while I was there. While the result of the tourney wasn't what I wanted(sucked). I did get a chance to meet a great deal of some cool people.

Had an awesome poker instruction with Deepstacks crew consisting of Mike Matusow, Michael 'Mizrachi, and Tristan 'Wade. Actually got taken to school and put in my place big time. I found out that day that I had a LOT to learn about poker.


Soon after towards the end of 2010 I took a complete break from poker. Not because I was tired of it, didn't like my results or the above spanking, but because I got some crazy news that my safety net(JOB) was shutting down our plant. That was a hard thing to take. Here I was a super agro player who's bank roll varied up and down because of my style. Well the thought of loosing my job sent me into a cave. I began to worry about my play and strategy. If I were to go broke with my style I would have no way of reloading if needed. So that stopped me from me being me. In poker being timid, not yourself, focused, etc is a bad recipe for disaster. Therefor I took a hiatus to get my thoughts in order.

While I was in my cave I thought of strategies, watched a lot of Deepstacks Live videos, and thought about what I was going to do. I really had two options, either go pro and dig in 110%, or just do nothing and get another job. But going pro requires a big bank roll which I don't have at this time and some mad proven skill. Which I am very unproven especially in a live game.

In the mean time while I "think" I been grinding out a new style. You ready for this? Its super agro with no distractions!!! Turning the TV off...DONE, Multi-tabling 4 poker games at a time..DONE, web browsing while playing errr almost DONE(DAMM TWITTER), and Turning off Poker Tracker...DONE.

So I have the TV off, am playing 2 tables max, just about stopped tweeting any poker stats(like it to much), and haven't used poker tracker all year. These changes while insignificant have improved my game 5 fold and more. I end up 2010 with a +12% ROI for the year which was my best ever. This year, my ROI for January is +60%, and so far in February its in the +100% . If I continue to follow my own advice and STICK WITH IT *augh* thats all our problems I guess. I know I will be more successful at this crazy game. Its bad enough having to try to defeat lady luck, but to throw in distractions while at it is just plain stupid.

I have a new found focus and my motivation to succeed had never been higher. I am going into the 2011 WSOPC in San Diego with such a mind set and will succeed. You can bank on because I will :)

-Angel 'gijoe' Valdez

No comments:

Post a Comment